- Cut a piece of template plastic or thin cardboard into a five inch square.
- Draw a line down the middle of the template.
- mark a 1/4 of an inch on opposite sides of the the line and the template (look at the photo)
- Draw a line from the 1/4 inch mark diagonal across the square.
- Cut the template on the line- there now you have your template for your whirligig.
- Mark the right side so you always cut your fabric the right way!
- Now pick your two fabrics - a light and a dark one to make your whirligig.
- cut 2 light and 2 dark into 5 inch squares.
- Stack fabric blocks (right side up)
- place template on block and draw diagonal line.
- Tip: always place your template the same way- to ensure your blocks spin the same direction.
- Cut the blocks on the line- keep them organized because now we have to put them together.
- Line up the white with the opposite blue- see picture
- line up diagonal edge of fabric like in the picture and get ready to sew.
- Sew your blocks together with a scant 1/4 inch on the diagonal sides.
- Press to the dark fabric
- Now it's time to square up your blocks because right now they should be rectangular.
- the short end should measure 4 1/2 inches so square the block to 4 1/2 inches (refer to the photo)
- See your nice squared up squares.
- Now you need to place your squares out to make a whirligig- the easiest way to do this is to refer to the photo
- Place 2 of your blocks right sides together in row one and do the same for row two.
- sew them together with a scant 1/4 inch seam.
- press each row the opposite way so you can nest the seams and reduce bulk when you sew your rows to gether
- nesting the seams- refer to the photo
- sew your rows together with your scant 1/4 inch seam
- press your rows open.
There you go a beautiful and whimsical whirligig- now make a whole bunch and put them together to make a whirly fun quilt!